CIP Code: 51.0904
NOVA Code: 1460
Purpose: The curriculum is designed to develop the competencies needed to prepare the student to achieve National Registry Paramedic Certification (NRP).
Credit for Prior Learning: Students in this program who hold current EMS certification may be eligible for credit for prior learning. See an academic advisor or counselor for further information.
Transfer Information: Transfer is not the primary purpose of an A.A.S. program, but NOVA has articulation agreements that facilitate the transfer of this and other career-oriented programs to selected senior institutions. Students interested in transfer should contact a counselor or their academic advisor early in their program.
Admission Requirements: Applicants must do the following:
- Comply with all general admission requirements for Health Sciences Programs.
- View a mandatory EMS department information session. Contact Program Administrative Assistant or check the website for further details.
- Be 16 years of age for the EMT-Basic training (first semester); must be 18 years of age or older for Paramedic training.
- Hold, at a minimum, a high school or general equivalency diploma. Students may apply for dual enrollment for attendance during the first semester.
- During the 1st semester of the program, students must qualify for ENG 111 or higher.
- Have attained a 2.0 GPA at the last school attended. Dual enrollment students must maintain 2.0 GPA during concurrent high school courses.
- Have no physical or mental impairment that would render the student unable to perform all skills required for EMS training at any level.
- Undergo a national background check, including urine drug screening, with no record of any sexual crime and be at least five years past final release of any felony or drug-related convictions. Go to https://portal.castlebranch.com/NG36, put in code “OR21,” and select the items needed for your level (EMT or Paramedic). This must be repeated annually.
- All courses in the program must be completed with a grade of “C” or better before taking the next course in the sequence and to satisfy graduation requirements and in-order to be eligible for any Virginia and/or National Registry certifying examination(s).
- After successful completion of the first semester, the following additional requirements must be achieved and maintained throughout attendance in the second through fifth semesters:
- Present proof of personal liability insurance, with a minimum of $1,000,000 coverage.
- Proof of insurance must remain with the student at all times, while on campus and clinical properties.
- Provide health history and physical, including annual flu shot. Must be repeated annually.
Special Program Completion Requirements:
- Before progressing to the Paramedic level (starting with their second semester) students must successfully attain their EMT-Basic certification.
- All EMS courses must be taken in sequence, general studies courses may be taken in any order with the exception of BIO 141 which is required, with a grade of “C” or better, prior to beginning of Paramedic level studies (semester two). (Please note: BIO 141 requires the completion of BIO 101, or NAS 2 or a placement test as noted at: https://www.nvcc.edu/academics/divisions/health-sciences/)
- Students who receive an “I” (incomplete) grade in any of the courses in the EMS sequence must resolve the incomplete before continuing in the EMS sequence.
- All clinical and internship requirements must be met prior to taking any Virginia and/or National Registry certifying examination(s).
Reenrollment: Students must follow the reenrollment requirements for all Health Sciences students.
Special Accreditation Status: The Northern Virginia Community College EMS Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088