CIP Code: 51.0707
NOVA Code: 1520
Purpose: The curriculum is designed to provide training in the management of systems to collect, store, process, retrieve, analyze, disseminate, and communicate information related to the research, planning, provision, and evaluation of healthcare services. It provides students with a unique blend of courses in information technology, business management, and clinical knowledge. Students who possess an interest in studying diseases and therapies but who prefer not to work in a direct patient care setting find this career very rewarding. An interest in using computers to manage data is also important. Health information management professionals are experts on patient data that doctors, nurses, and other providers rely on to perform their jobs. Employment opportunities exist in all types of healthcare delivery organizations (hospitals, ambulatory care centers, home health services, and long-term care facilities) plus managed care, consulting firms, claims and reimbursement companies, and research firms. Graduates of the program are eligible to take a national certifying examination. The Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) Certification is recognized nationwide as proof of proficiency in health information management.
Transfer Information: Transfer is not the primary purpose of an A.A.S. program, but NOVA has articulation agreements that facilitate the transfer of this and other career-oriented programs to selected senior institutions. Students interested in transfer should contact a counselor or their academic advisor early in their program.
Admission Requirements: Applicants must do the following:
- Comply with all general admission requirements for Allied Health Programs.
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher in each course.
- Complete the Health Information Management online information session at www.nvcc.edu/medical/divisions/allied/him.html.
- Complete or self-place into MTH 154 or higher or completion of unit 5 in a developmental math: https://www.nvcc.edu/academics/placement/index.html.
- Complete ENG 111 with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Provide evidence of good physical and mental health by submitting a physical exam form. The form must be completed before the start of clinical experience.
Special Accreditation Status: The Health Information Management Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Clinical Requirements: Students are required to complete one nonpaid professional practice experiences (PPEs)/Clinical prior to graduation. Students will be assigned a site for each clinical and will not be allowed to complete a clinical at a hospital where they are employed if they work within the HIM Department. For additional information on completion of clinicals, please see the HIM Program Office.
Continuation Requirements: Each course in the program major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better before taking the next course in the sequence.