CIP Code: 52.0301
NOVA Code: 221-203-02
Purpose: This curriculum will provide students with the accounting courses needed to meet the requirements of the Virginia Board for Accountancy to sit for the Certified Public Accountancy (C.P.A.) examination. To meet the educational requirements to sit for the Virginia CPA exam, a candidate must obtain from one or more accredited institutions or from the National College the following:
- at least 120 semester hours of education;
- baccalaureate or higher degree; and
- accounting concentration or equivalent*
- a minimum of 24 semester hours of accounting courses, to include courses in auditing, financial accounting, management accounting, and taxation; and
- a minimum of 24 semester hours of business courses. As many as 6 hours of accounting courses (not included in the 24 hours of accounting courses) may be considered for the business course requirement.
*Principles or introductory accounting courses cannot be considered in determining whether a person has obtained the 48 minimum number of semester hours required for an accounting concentration or equivalent.
Admission Requirements: Successful completion of ACC 211 and ACC 212 or equivalent as demonstrated through transcript evaluation.
These accounting courses may also meet accounting requirements of various government and private sector positions.
Students on Financial Aid should consider the AAS in Accounting Degree in order to get financial aid coverage of ACC 211 and ACC 212 .
Students who do not have the required business courses may find the AAS in Accounting Degree a good alternative for covering all CPA requirements.