CIP Code: 51.0910
NOVA Code: 1092
Offered through MEC
Purpose: The curriculum is designed to prepare students to produce diagnostic images of the blood and blood flow. The vascular sonographer uses special equipment to direct high frequency sound waves into areas of the patient’s body. The vascular sonographer is a central member of the health care team and assists the radiologist in body image interpretation. Upon successful completion of degree requirements, the student will be eligible to apply to take the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography examinations leading to credentials as a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS®), Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS®) and Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT®).
Admission Requirements: Students must:
- Comply with all general admission requirements for Allied Health Programs.
- Review an online Diagnostic Medical Sonography information session at https://www.nvcc.edu/medical/divisions/allied/sonography.html .
- Attend a mandatory DMS Prospective Student Workshop prior to application. Students must bring a copy of the DMS Prospective Student Workshop Form with them to the workshop.
- Complete BIO 141 and BIO 142 with a “B” or higher and completed within 5 years of application.
- Complete ENG 111 with a grade of “B” or higher.
- Complete MTH 154 or higher level math with a “B” or higher.
- Complete PHY 101 Introduction to Physics I with a “B” or higher and completed within 5 years of application.
- Complete SDV 101 Orientation to Healthcare with a “B” or higher.
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
Completion Requirements: All courses in the program must be completed with a grade of “C” or better before taking the next course in the sequence and to satisfy graduation requirements.