Apr 22, 2024  
2019-2020 NOVA Catalog 
2019-2020 NOVA Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Catalog Updates

Financial Information


Tuition Refunds

Tuition refunds are not automatic except when the College cancels courses.

Students may be eligible for a tuition refund or forgiveness of debt under some very special circumstances. To request a refund or forgiveness of tuition debt, students should contact the staff of a campus Business Office to determine the correct procedures to follow. Complete information about tuition refunds and forgiveness of debt can be found online at www.nvcc.edu/payment/refunds.html.



  • Under certain circumstances, new students (starting in Summer or Fall 2018) who have graduated from high school within the last 5 years and took English 12 their senior year may be considered eligible for ENG 111 or ENG 111 co-enrolled with ENF 3.


Programs of Study


Science, A.S.

Students who do not place into Calculus would instead take MTH 166 167 and a Physical or Life Science elective in place of Calculus in the first semester. See footnote 6.

1 If considering transfer to another university, contact your counselor or academic advisor to determine the appropriate course. If you require pre-calculus (see footnotes 2 and 6) MTH 161 is an optional General Education Elective that can be used to fulfill this degree requirement. EDU 200 may be used for those interested in secondary education.

2 MTH 263 plus one semester of 200-level statistics may be taken by biology majors (MTH 245 or MTH 246 ) may be taken by biology majors. Students not adequately prepared for MTH 263 may be required to take MTH 167 or MTH 161 and MTH 162. It is strongly recommended that students who do not place directly into MTH 263 meet with their academic advisor to plan their math progression through the degree.

3 The sciences elective may be selected from the following: BIO 101, BIO 102, BIO 110, BIO 120, CHM 111, CHM 112, GOL 105, GOL 106, PHY 201, PHY 202, PHY 231, PHY 232, or any 200-level biology, chemistry, geology, or physics course.

4 Mathematics, to include Precalculus only if required, may be used to satisfy up to three Physical or Life Science Lab Electives. Higher level math courses may include MTH 265 - Calculus III (4 CR.), MTH 266 - Linear Algebra (3 CR.) or MTH 267 - Differential Equations (3 CR.).

5 Students who plan to major in Biology should elect CHM 111- CHM 112, BIO 101-BIO 102 or BIO 110 and BIO 120, and either BIO 206 and PHY 201 or PHY 201-PHY 202. Students who plan to major in Chemistry should elect CHM 111-CHM 112 and CHM 241-CHM 242 and CHM 245-CHM 246 plus 2 semesters of physics (please see transfer school for required physics class). Students who plan to major in physics should select PHY 231-PHY 232, MTH 265, MTH 267 and two of the following: CHM 111-CHM 112, PHY 243 or MTH 266. For all intended majors, it is strongly recommended that you contact your counselor or academic advisor to identify courses that meet requirements of your transfer institution.

6 MTH 161 and MTH 162 may be taken in place of MTH 167. MTH 161 can be applied to the degree as described in footnote 1 and MTH 162 can be used in place of a Physical or Life Science elective. If you are required to take precalculus it is recommended that you complete a Physical or Life Science elective in your first semester in place of Calculus. Students who place into Calculus will not be given credit for completing precalculus and must complete a Physical or Life Science Lab Elective (footnote 3) or a higher level Math (footnote 4).

7 See social/behavioral sciences courses listed under Social/Behavioral Sciences Electives. Base selection on requirements of transfer institution.

8 See HIS courses listed under social/behavioral science courses under Social/Behavioral Sciences Electives. HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 121 or HIS 122 are recommended.

9 See humanities/fine arts courses listed under Social/Behavioral Sciences Electives Humanities/Fine Arts Electives​. Elective should be selected with advice of a counselor or academic advisor to meet requirements of the transfer institution.

10 Select from the following: CST 100, CST 126, or CST 229.

11 Choose from General Education listing. This elective is not needed if selections for all other requirements total 60 credits or more.



Placement Test Alternatives

English Placement Test Alternatives

Students who have taken the SAT, ACT, GED, or TOEFL IBT within the last five years may be considered eligible for ENG 111; or, ENG 111 co-enrolled with ENF 3; without having to take the Virginia Placement Test for English.

  • Students with a minimum score of 480 on the English Evidence Based Reading/Writing SAT are eligible for ENG 111 (applies only to SATs taken after March 2016).
  • Students with a score between 460 and 479 on the English Evidence Based Reading/Writing SAT are eligible for ENG 111 co-enrolled with ENF 3 (applies only to SATs taken before after March 2016).